i made you a mix tape of all my favorites from this week!
I'm in the middle of a two-week get-away-from-it-all vacation. We have about 24 hours between coming home from one location and heading out to the next. I thought I'd send the mix tape that's been accumulating in my draft folder the past couple of weeks.
I should warn you that I'm reading like a mad woman during this break! I won't know what to say when I put all the books here, but I'm sure it'll be witty and delightful, all the same. Stay tuned...
- Hipster Christianity by Brett McCracken: Baker Books sent me this first release from McCracken. I'm working on a written review to post when I get back in town next week. Without saying too much at this point, it was definitely an interesting read and made for some great family conversations!
- Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Tuesday, August 24, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
The Murphy's house, 106 Jefferson Ave., Endicott
RSVP to me: email@example.com
Bring your book, discussion guide and a snack or beverage to share!
- Cocktail Hour at Good Letters: The Image Blog: Not only been reading like a mad woman on this vacation; been drinking a bit, also.
- The 25 Best Opening Lines in Western Literature: Just for fun -- thanks, Alicia!
- Living in a Small Valley: Look who's joined the blogging world! (Sorry, friends, he just jumped to the top of my favorites list!)
- Art House America Blog: Another new blog added to my favorites. I guess Charlie Peacock and his tribe belong right up there alongside the best of them on my list. The website is beautiful, too.
TV & Film:
- Friday Night Lights season finale - There's one more season for you to watch this show, but it won't start for a while. Catch up on Hulu or something. I know, I know -- it's got lots of marks of soap drama, but there's a lot of beauty in the look of this series. Plus, I've never seen better husband/wife character development on television.
- Not sure if it was the film or the the location we watched it but our family sure had a great time watching a double feature (Despicable Me and Dinner for Schmucks) at the Unadilla Drive In during our vacation week in the country. If you live in the central NY area, you really should pack the tailgate supplies and hit a show under the stars this summer. Next time, we are so taking our grill!
- Letha Wilson Artwork: Photo sculptures? I can't really tell if I like this or not, but I think the concept is marvelous! Once again, Design for Mankind introduces me to some unique work.
I leave you with this delightful snippet my mother reminded me of last week. I'm seriously considering making it my new blog title:
"One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture, and if it were possible, to speak a few reasonable words."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)
Enjoy the beauty of an August week!